Anderson Suffers Second-Degree Burns In Fiery ‘Dega Crash

By Justin Schuoler, Staff Writer

TALLADEGA, Ala. – After a frightening and fiery crash in Saturday’s NASCAR Camping World Truck Series race at Talladega Superspeedway, Jordan Anderson shared that he suffered only “second-degree burns” and expects to be discharged from UAB Hospital Saturday night.

In the closing laps of stage one in the Chevy Silverado 250, Anderson’s No. 3 truck burst into flames shortly after crossing the start/finish line at Talladega Superspeedway. The truck came to rest on the apron off the exit of turn two, but not before making contact with the inside wall.

At the moment of impact, Anderson was already in the process of climbing out, sitting on the window sill. He climbed all the way out under his own power, but soon fell to the ground a few feet away from his Dometic Outdoor Chevrolet Silverado. He was quickly aided by safety workers, placed on a stretcher and transported to the infield care center.

The track helicopter was already started and warming up when Anderson arrived, along with NASCAR Xfinity Series driver Myatt Snider, who drives for Anderson’s Xfinity Series operation.

Moments later, Snider and another Jordan Anderson Racing team member exited the care center, confirming that Anderson would be airlifted and transported to the University of Alabama at Birmingham for further evaluation and treatment.

Anderson was airlifted shortly after 12:30 p.m. local time.

Once airlifted, crew chief Artie Haire shared he would be leaving the track and heading to the hospital to be with Anderson. Haire relayed then that Anderson suffered burns and was in a lot of pain. 

At 4:38 p.m. local time, NASCAR on NBC pit reporter Marty Snider relayed during the Xfinity Series television broadcast that Anderson was being treated for “minor burns to the arms, neck, and knees” at UAB. It was expected that Anderson would be released later in the evening, but was not official at the time of the update.

Two hours later, in a social media statement by Anderson, he shared that he suffered second-degree burns across a large portion of his body, from his neck and face down to as low as his knees, in what he called his “scariest moment of his racing career.”

Anderson noted that doctors did clear him to be discharged from the hospital and return home.

“So grateful for all the prayers and support,” noted Anderson in his statement. “Have been in some great hands with all the NASCAR and UAB nurses and doctors. No doubt, God’s hand was protecting me through that one. [That was the] scariest moment of my racing career, by far. Ended up with second degree burns across my neck, face, right arm, hands and both knees. [I’m] getting cleared to go home tonight. Doctors say everything should be healing up within a few weeks.

“Will keep everyone updated on the healing process, but [I’m] just thankful it wasn’t worse.”

Saturday marked Anderson’s sixth attempt and fifth Truck Series start of the season.

He failed to qualify for the season opener at Daytona (Fla.) Int’l Speedway before racing previously at Las Vegas (Nev.) Motor Speedway, Atlanta (Ga.) Motor Speedway, Texas Motor Speedway, Illinois’ World Wide Technology Raceway. His season best was 14th at Texas.

As Anderson recovers, his Xfinity Series team and driver Myatt Snider will head to the Charlotte Motor Speedway ROVAL for that division’s next race on Oct. 8.

It’s unknown how the injuries to Anderson, a native of Forest Park, S.C., may affect his own driving plans for the rest of the year.

Video footage below, provided by NASCAR, may be disturbing to some viewers.

Editor’s note: There will be no further updates to this story.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *